CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Low-Fat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

Since we love pumpkin stuff in our house, and I love pumpkin bread, I decided to try and make my current pumpkin bread recipe a little less sinful. Here is my updated recipe. I think I may even like this version better!

Low-Fat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
1 egg
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 Tbsp canola oil
3/8 tsp salt
3/8 tsp baking soda
1 1/8 tsp cinnamon
3/8 tsp cloves
3/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1 1/8 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/8 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8x4 loaf pan. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together egg and sugar until creamy and light. Whisk in pumpkin and canola oil until well mixed. Add salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger. Stir until just combined. Add the flour and chocolate chips and stir until just combined. Pour into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 38 - 42 minutes (or until a toothpick in the center comes out mostly clean.) Let cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool on a wire cooling rack until completely cool.

Notes:
You can successfully substitute 1/4 cup applesauce for the egg if you don't have one on had - it does make the bread a little moister so it may take longer to bake.

This recipe also works well with Ener-G Egg Replacer. I like to keep egg replacer on hand to use in my baking if I don't have an egg. Plus it is a great food storage item since it lasts for 3 or 4 years.

This bread is also delicious with craisins instead of chocolate chips, plus it saves you 20 calories per slice and over 2 grams of fat per slice.

Nutritional Info: For 1/8 of the loaf (I know how much you really eat!) - 217 calories, 6.5 grams of fat, 38.5 grams of carbs, 3 grams of protein. The original bread contained - 303 calories, 16.95 grams of fat, 37.5 grams of crabs, and 3 grams of protein. A savings of 86 calories and 10.45 grams of fat!

0 comments: