CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Okay, I am going to preface this recipe. I altered this recipe a touch (or maybe a little more), so if you are used to the rich and buttery pumpkin cookies you make, you may find these disappointing. But I love them because I can eat them without feeling quite so guilty about it.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup cooked pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup unrefined sugar
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl whisk together oil, applesauce, syrup, pumpkin, vanilla and sugar until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips. In a medium bowl combined flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg & cinnamon. Whisk until well incorporated. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just well combined. Drop by spoonfuls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 11 - 13 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet. Move to cooling rack and let cool completely. Makes 3 dozen medium cookies.

Notes: Of course you can use all purpose white flour, which would make this lighter and more decadent. The dough should be fairly wet, but feel free to add 2-3 Tbsp additional flour if needed. You may substitute 1 cup unrefined sugar for the 3/4 cup pure maple syrup, though I would probably add a tablespoon of molasses for added flavor. You can also substitute an additional 1/4 cup canola oil and 1 egg for the 1/2 cup of the applesauce for a more traditional/less cakey cookie.

0 comments: