CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Salsa Verde Enchilada Sauce

I have always loved green enchilada sauce. I got this recipe from a tamale book that I have called Tamales 101. I feel okay about posting the recipe though because she has it on her website. This makes about two quarts of sauce, or enough for about 20 - 25 really saucy enchiladas. This is a mild recipe, you can add heat by including 1-3 jalepenos (stems removed) to the pot before boiling. Enjoy.

Salsa Verde Enchilada Sauce
1 1/2 lbs tomatillos, husked and washed (about 18)
8 pasilla or anaheim chilies roasted and peeled and seeded
3 cloves of garlic peeled
2 medium onions quartered
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Place tomatillos, chilies, garlic, onions, salt & pepper in a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes. Remove from the stove and pour off most of the cooking liquid - reserving it for later. In a blender, or with an immersion blender puree until smooth adding cooking liquid until it is the right consistency (what is the right consistency you say - what ever consistency you like!) Season with additional salt & pepper if necessary.

0 comments: