CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 24, 2008

Mexican Sundaes

This is a fun recipe that is easy to make and is a meal almost everyone will eat. At least my currently picky toddler actually had something to eat for dinner tonight!

Mexican Sundaes
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup water
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
4 cups cooked rice

Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft and beginning to brown. Add garlic and saute one or two minutes until fragrant. Add the water, tomato sauce, sugar, oregano and salt. Stir well to combine. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.

While the sauce is simmering, cook your rice. Once the sauce has simmered for 30 minutes, stir the rice into the sauce.

Serve salad bar style with the following toppings: shredded cheese, black or pinto beans, olives, diced tomatoes, diced avocado, salsa, shredded lettuce, corn chips, and sour cream.

Alterations
Okay, I will admit I altered this recipe. For the original recipe you add 1 lb ground beef, 2 tsp sugar, and 1 tsp accent. I changed it up since we don't eat ground beef. After omitting the beef, I found that the sauce was too sweet with the 2 tsp of sugar, so I reduced it to 1. I omitted the accent, since it is just MSG and I don't really know too much about, but everything online that I read said you didn't really need it, so I left it out. So, feel free to make the original recipe when you serve it to your family.

Tips
I didn't have tomato sauce the last time I made this, but I did have tomato paste. I was able to substitute 1 can tomato paste with 1 1/2 cans of water for the 15 oz of tomato sauce.

We always eat brown rice in our house, so if you are planning to make it with brown rice, start that before the sauce, since brown rice takes approximately 40 - 45 minutes to cook. That the way the rice and sauce will be ready at the same time.

0 comments: