I got this recipe from the website Allrecipes.com and we have loved it. Of course I use whole wheat flour to make them, so they are even more dense and full of fiber and goodness. If only I didn't love syrup so much, then I could have a really healthy meal! Elizabeth loves them scattered with chocolate chips, so they are almost like cookies. In her defense, she also enjoys eating spoonfuls of the plain pumpkin while I mix up the batter (sounds gross to me, but I would never tell her that!) We love to enjoy these all year round, but during the fall they are a special treat. We know your families will love these on a cool fall morning!
Pumpkin Pancakes
2 cups flour
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup pumpkin
1 egg
2 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp vinegar
In a large bowl mix together milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar. In a small bowl mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Stir flour mixture into pumpkin until just combined.
The egg can be substituted in a pinch with 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed and 1 Tbsp water mixed together and let to sit a minute so the flaxseed can absorb the water or 1/4 cup applesauce. They work perfectly for me when I have needed a substitute!
NOTES:
To add the chocolate chips, just sprinkle some on the pancake just after pouring it on the griddle. You can push them into the batter slightly so they don't just scorch when you flip the pancake over.
We like to serve these with pure maple syrup or my homemade vanilla cinnamon syrup.
Vanilla Cinnamon Syrup
2 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat bring water and cinnamon sticks to a boil. Turn heat down to medium-low and let simmer about 10 minutes. Strain hot liquid into a measuring cup. Return 1 1/2 cups liquid to the pan (if you need additional water, just add a touch from the tap). Add the sugar and bring to a full boil. Allow to boil until the mixtures becomes thick and syrupy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the vanilla extract. Cool slightly and serve. This thickens quite a bit when cold. It can be stored in the refrigerator for a few weeks and served cold or reheated.

0 comments:
Post a Comment